PUBLIC WORKS DEPERTMENT(PWD)
Means of access, open space and parking space.
- Rule for means of access –
- a - Every plot shall abut a means of access which may be a public street or private street or passage.
b- The relationship between the width of the means of access and the maximum permissible
height of building shall be as indicated in these rules.
- The minimum width of means of access in respect of a new building shall be as follows :-
- No new building shall be allowed on a plot unless the plot abuts a street which is not less than 10.00 metres in width at any part, or there is access to the plot from any such street by a passage which is not less than 10.00 metres in width at any part :
- In the case of a residential building with other occupancies if any on less than 10% of the total covered area of the building , the width of such street or passage shall not be less than 2.40 metres at any part,
- In the case of a residential building with educational occupancy on 10% or more of the total covered area of the building , the width of such street or passage shall not be less than 7.00 metres at any part ,
- In the case of an educational building with residential occupancy the width of such street or passage shall not be less than 7.00 metres at any part,
- In the case of an educational building with other occupancy or occupancies not being residential on less than 10% of the total covered area of the building the width of such street or passage shall not be less than 7.00 metres at any part.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in clauses (a) above , residential building up to a maximum height of 7.00 metres may be allowed on a plot abutting a means of access not less than 1.20 metres , provided such means of access is in long existence and is recorded in the settelment records 3[and /or Municipal records] accordingly.
- Any building which in full or part is put to assembly occupancy for the purpose of theatre , motion picture house , city hall , skating rink , auditorium , exhibition hall or for similar other purposes shall not be allowed on a plot located within 50 metres on junction of two streets , the width of each of which is 15.00 metres or more.
B. Ground coverage in respect of buildings.
(1) a- The maximum permissible ground coverage for building, when a plot contains a single
Building , will depend on the plot size and the use of the building as given in the table
Maximum permissible Ground Coverage
(Plot containing a single building)
Type of building Maximum permissible ground coverage
1.Residential and educational :
(a)Plot size up to 200 sq. metres 65%
(b)Plot size above 500 sq. metres 50%
2.Other uses including mixed use 40%
B - For any other size of the plot, in between the plot size of 200 to 500 square metres, the
percentage of coverage shall be calculated by direct interpolation.
(2) When a plot contains more than one building shall abut as internal road connecting the
means of access of the plot.
- Permissible height of buildings.
- Height of a building shall be the vertical distance measured from the average level of the centre line of the adjoining street or passage on which the plot abuts, to the highest point of the building, whether with flat roof or sloped roof.
- The following appurtenant structure shall not be included in the height of the building :-
- Stair cover not exceeding 2.40 metres in height :
- Lift machine rooms as per the latest edition of the National Building Code :
- Roof tanks and their supports , the height of support not exceeding 1.00 metre:
- Chimneys :
- Parapet walls not exceeding 1.50 metres in height :
- Ventilating , air-conditioning and [other service equipment\'s ]:
- Height above mid-point between caves level and ridge level.
- The aggregate area of the structures mentioned in clause (a) shall not exceed one –
third of the area of the roof upon which these are created.
- The maximum permissible height of buildings on a plot shall be as given in the table below :-
Width of means of access (in metres) Maximum permissible height(in metres)
- 2.40 to 3.50 8.00
- Above 3.50 to 7.00 11.00
- Above 7.00 to 10.00 14.00
- Above 10.00 to 15.00 18.00
- Above 15.00 to 20.00 24.00
- Above 20.00 to 24.00 36.00
- Above 24.00 15.00 ×(width
means of the
of front open
This rule shall be read with rule (A.)
4. For any building to be erected or re-erected or added to in the vicinity of aerodrome, or which may..